Jump Rope for Heart
- DEVELOPS rope-jumping skills that are fun for everyone!
- PROMOTES the value of physical activity to students while
they participate in a team or cooperative effort.
- INCREASES understanding of the seriousness of heart diseases and stroke
and the lifelong health benefits of physical activity and a heart-healthy lifestyle.
- TEACHES students to set and achieve goals, and discover that they can make a difference.
- BUILDS character through the spirit of volunteerism and community service.
Why It's So Important!
Heart disease is this nation's No. 1 killer; stroke is the No. 3 killer and is also a leading cause
of serious disability. Every year, more than 950,000 Americans die from cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
That's nearly 42 percent of all deaths.
These diseases may remain critical problems in the future because of poor lifestyle habits
among American adults and children. For example, only 1 of 10 Americans participate in 30 minutes or more of
vigorous activity every day.
In addition ...
- Many studies show that up to one-third of our children are obese.
- 4 million children have above-normal blood pressure.
- 27 million children have high cholesterol.
- About 9 million children are exposed to secondhand smoke every day by a family member who smokes.
About 3,000 young people start smoking
Healthy lifestyles can help prevent heart disease and stroke. Good nutrition, physical activity,
staying tobacco free, and maintaining a healthy blood pressure and weight are all part of a healthy lifestyle.
Jump rope For Heart helps get this message across to students.
3 Healthy Heart Themes
- Eat Healthy Stuff!
- Move Around Enough!
- Live Tobacco Free!
You can have a
5 Risk Factors of Heart Disease
Little or no exercise
Jump Into It!!!